L. W. L. Life, Vol. 15: June, 1929 (Classic Reprint)
-3 %

L. W. L. Life, Vol. 15: June, 1929 (Classic Reprint)

Besorgungstitel | Lieferzeit:3-5 Tage I

Unser bisheriger Preis:ORGPRICE: 9,00 €

Jetzt 8,75 €*

Alle Preise inkl. MwSt. | zzgl. Versand
Lick-Wilmerding And Lux Schools
118 g
229x152x4 mm

Excerpt from L. W. L. Life, Vol. 15: June, 1929Although the deed Of trust under which the Lick School was founded was executed by James Lick in 1875, shortly before his death, it was not until 1895 that the institu tion was actually established. The Society of California Pioneers and the California Academy Of Sciences were named by Mr. Lick as residuary legatees Of his estate to receive any surplus that might remain after the payment of the specified bequests. Under this provision the earnings Of the school endowment for a period Of about twenty years, aggregating about a million dollars, were given to these residuary lega tees, and the school was forced to accept with which to purchase a site for the school, erect buildings, provide necessary equipments, and reserve for investment a sum sufficient to maintain the school.Mention has already been made of Dr. J. D. B. Stillman, who suggested to Mr. Lick the idea Of founding a school; of Judge Lorenzo Sawyer, on whom the other trustees relied for legal guidance; and of Horace Davis, who served as a member of the Board and as its president for a period of forty years. The other members as originally named by Mr. Lick were John Oscar Eldridge, John 0. Earl and Andrew S. Hallidie, all of whom were prominent in business circles and as public-spirited citizens Of San Francisco in those days. Of the six members all had achieved successand no two had been engaged in the same line Of business. Each contributed to the Board a different element of capability, making it a strong and well balanced organi zation. During the long period of litigation preceding the establishment of the school three Of the Older members died - Dr. Stillman, Judge Sawyer, and Mr. Eldridge. Meanwhile, the institution having been incorporated with provision for a Board Of five members, only two Of the three vacancies were filled, one by the appointment Of Rev. Horatio Stebbins, pastor Of the First Unitarian Church, and the other by James Spiers, founder and proprietor Of the Fulton Iron Works. All appointments are for life and vacancies are filled by the surviving members. In filling vacancies the trustees have always been careful to select men Of large caliber and from various occupations, in order that the strength Of the Board might remain unimpaired.About the PublisherForgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at forgottenbooks.comThis book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.